The purpose of the African Women in Cinema Blog is to provide a space to discuss diverse topics relating to African women in cinema--filmmakers, actors, producers, and all film professionals. The blog is a public forum of the Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema.

Le Blog sur les femmes africaines dans le cinéma est un espace pour l'échange d'informations concernant les réalisatrices, comédiennes, productrices, critiques et toutes professionnelles dans ce domaine. Ceci sert de forum public du Centre pour l'étude et la recherche des femmes africaines dans le cinémas.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

My photo
Director/Directrice, Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema | Centre pour l'étude et la recherche des femmes africaines dans le cinéma

Translate

Search This Blog

10 April 2013

Filmmaking and Motherhood by Zimbabwean Porcia Mudavhanhu


Filmmaking and Motherhood by Porcia Mudavhanhu (Zimbabwe). Source: icapatrust.org 

Who said that working moms could not have a successful profession and a happy family, I believe we working moms can have it all.

Juggling a career and a family is no easy feat, in fact it is pretty hard when your kids are still young like mine, eldest daughter is now eight years and my second born is one year four months. As it is very difficult to build a testimony you face a lot of temptations but if you put all your faith in God and continue being prayerful you will definitely win. The same applies to careers and families you sometimes reach a stage where you feel the need to step back and concentrate on your family. This may result in your career heading for the rocks but if you believe that you can have it all, you will yield good fruits of your perseverance that is a happy family and a career.

Filmmaking is stressful and exhausting but I like it because it is a piece of literature translated into moving picture, which will last for a long time. I believe as people we must make the best of our lives by doing what we love most and our kids will be proud of us. I admit that sometimes I became self-centred in my desires to find my success in the film industry. Last year I was working on a documentary on women cross border traders (Kuyambuka-Crossing borders, documentary, 54mins) as the director of the film I had to travel a lot during pre-production (research) and production, my youngest daughter was only three months then sometimes I had to travel as far as Masvingo with her. Culturally it is not good to move with a small baby around especially to a stranger' houses but I went against all these myths and beliefs for the sake of producing a documentary, celebrating women who carried our nation during the economic meltdown.The saying behind every successful man is a strong woman, for me translates to behind every successful woman is a supportive man. There are times when my husband's support meant a lot to me. The greatest challenge in my career was when my youngest daughter refused to breast feed at six months because I was away for five days on a shoot. It was painful for me to come to terms with it, as I felt I had let my daughter down. Read entire article:  ICAPATRUST

Blog Archive